Our Appvion Human Resources team is seeking a Payroll Specialist to administer the payroll within our organization. If you enjoy being challenged and have experience with complex wage tiers and work rules, then this may be the opportunity for you. Duties of the position include gathering, editing, and processing timecards for accuracy prior to inclusion into the payroll system, analyzing and resolving any payroll discrepancies, managing the payroll workflow to maximize efficiency, and providing ongoing assistance with questions relating to payroll policies, earnings, deductions, and benefits. This dynamic work environment will be the perfect opportunity for your career to apply your adept problem-solving and communication skills, all while belonging to a dedicated and dynamic team.
- Process the bi-weekly payroll for all salaried and hourly employees, maintain employee records within the appropriate systems to ensure compliance with state and federal regulations, create and distribute internal financial reports, and send data feeds to third party vendors.
- Reconcile and prepare funding requests for 401(k) and HSA accounts following each payroll.
- Supports the Human Resources Information System (Workday), including but not limited to, maintenance, data, and database integrity, and ensuring that employee records are accurate and secure.
- Provide management with analysis to improve processes by reducing complexity and cost.
- Administer FMLA and STD programs.
- Assists with integrations and configurations of HR processes into HRIS (Workday) to support business strategies.
- Process special payrolls (e.g., retroactive pay increases, calendar year startup, contractual changes, end of year, grievance adjustments, retirement, severance, incentive payments, etc.).
- Participate in identified projects, e.g., new payroll or time entry system migration or integration.
- Administer wage garnishments, attachments, levies, etc. ensuring compliance with child support agencies, internal revenue, and district courts.
- Verify integrity of employee data by conducting frequent audits.
- Create and distribute W2’s; perform entry of W2 adjustments; perform necessary updates to the payroll database and verify W2 post processing results reconciled with anticipated results.
- Coordinate with bank to transfer completed payroll files.
- Process daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual reports in a timely manner.
- Calculate and gross-up off-cycle checks; review, edit and make corrections and adjustments as needed.
- Provide support of day-to-day activities associated with corporate payroll including time entries, direct deposit changes and employee reimbursements.
- Maintain departmental and plant seniority lists to track people movements, wage, and schedule changes.
- Monitor and maintain attendance and vacation records.
- Work with department managers, operations leaders, and employees to ensure that changes to work schedules documented.
- Apply contract language to payroll activities.
- Assist with ERISA audit and 401K administration.
- Serve as backup for LTD administrator.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Drive execution, continuously improve the core, and reallocate resources at pace.
- Create possibilities from new thinking, generate disruptive change, and lead change.
- Flexible, comfortable dealing with a high degree of ambiguity, and able to adapt rapidly as the business evolves.
- Has a sense of urgency, high drive, and commitment to achieve results.
- Emotionally intelligent, resilient, and mature. Enjoys rising to new challenges and can handle multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Confident, low-ego, and can build trust and credibility with a broad spectrum of stakeholders.
- Unquestionable integrity, ethics, and judgment; the courage and ability to take a strong position when required, make tough decisions, and drive change for the good of Appvion.
Required Prior Accomplishments, Experience, Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Experience in Kronos Dimensions and Workday Software is an important preferred.
- Union payroll experience preferred.
- Solid Technology background, Microsoft Office Suite, Proficient in Excel.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to multi-task under tight deadlines.
- Superior communication skills.
Ability to effectively collaborate with stakeholders.