Senior VDC Manager
Bassett Mechanical is a 3rd generation family-owned company that provides custom-built industrial refrigeration, HVAC, plumbing, metal fabricating and preventative maintenance service solutions to customers throughout the United States and the world. It is not only a great place to grow and thrive in your career. It is a place to truly belong. As a member of the Bassett Mechanical Family, you'll enjoy a competitive compensation and benefits package and many professional growth opportunities. From the moment you're hired, to the day you retire, you're a part of our Bassett Mechanical Family.
Lead the continual development of the means (team, roles, structure, process) and methods (workflow, tools, equipment) to most efficiently and effectively transform project design solution information into executable information for project planning, shop fabrication, and field installation of the physical components of Bassett’s project work. This position is responsible for supporting Refrigeration, HVAC and Plumbing disciplines by assisting Engineering and Project Management in developing executable design solutions, incorporating trade fabrication and field installation knowledge, and maximizing the utilization of 3D technology to produce meaningful and valuable information for all supporting business elements. This position works directly with project team members to maximize the application and utilization of VDC capabilities and processes, and to support field execution across multiple disciplines.
- In partnership with the Director of Prefabrication, and with guidance from VP of Refrigeration and VP of HVAC/ Plumbing:
- Lead the further definition, establishment, and continual development of the One Bassett VDC Team members/roles (currently including CAD for engineering support, scanning and layout, VDC systems support, VDC production), structure, processes & standards, workflows managed directly, and workflows to be closely coordinated and integrated in other aspects of capturing, developing solutions, and delivering project work.
- In conjunction with Project Management Leader:
- Coordinate and optimize the planning, production, and installation of the physical project components in parallel with overall project management requirements and methods.
- Assure that a Collaborative Project Delivery Process occurs for each project
- Lead, supervise, and manage the growth of the One Bassett VDC team. Assure that the team has the appropriate skillsets, tools (hardware, software, and processes), and capacity to match the current and projected workload. Support team members’ individual development efforts; provide ongoing performance feedback; and complete formal annual performance appraisals.
- Maximize the inclusion, recognition and incorporation of VDC resources as project job costs, both when estimated and during project delivery
- Work collaboratively with project team members to develop executable BIM solutions and streamline project delivery using best methods and design practices.
- Assure Bassett has the capabilities to support 3D model development and coordination with external project team members – GC’s, consulting engineers, other subcontractors, suppliers.
- Interact regularly with project teams in the office, shop and field to support project execution. Visit jobsites and the fabrication shop to get feedback and look for opportunities for improvement.
- Educate and support project teams on BIM related solutions, VDC practices, deliverables and technology.
- Define and provide deliverables to best support project execution and efficiency.
- Plan, develop and manage to annual budget associated with the VDC department.
- Support and maintain a safe and Lean work environment and culture of continuous improvement.
- Other duties as assigned.
Summary of Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- 5+ years of experience in leadership role directly managing employees
- 10+ years of mechanical trades ‘hands on’ related field and/or fabrication experience preferred with strong understanding of project logistics and schedules
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, with strong organizational skills, and the ability to assess and create process flow and implement continuous improvement initiatives
- Experienced in coordinating complex project flow and ability to delegate and manage team assignments.
- Proficient management, leadership, business and technical skills
- Innovative and progressive forward-thinking leader
- Strong customer (internal and external) focus
- Ability to read and understand construction specifications and drawings
- Strong understanding of Autodesk AEC collection (Revit, Navisworks, Fabrication, AutoCAD)
- Strong understanding of field related laser scanning and layout equipment.
- Willing to take on new challenges and lead company initiative
- Self-starter with the drive to pursue continued education in VDC technology advancements.
- Must have valid driver’s license and clean driving record to allow self-transportation to job sites
- Ability to build relationships and collaborate with project team members, internally and externally
- Knowledge of Lean processes; tools and philosophy preferred
- VDC Field Technician
- VDC Database Specialist
- Mechanical Piping Designer
- VDC Lead Detailer(s)